FAQ / What to Bring
When does my registration expire?
Registrations issued in a person's name expire at midnight on the person's birth date, except for mobile homes and commercial vehicles. Mobile homes expire at midnight on December 31. Commercial vehicles expire at midnight on May 31 (if registered semiannually) or at midnight on December 31 for annual registrations. Registrations issued in a company name are assigned a designated month and the registration expires on midnight on the last day of that month.
When is a late fee applied?
A late fee is applied on the 11th calendar day of the month following the renewal period. The exact expiration date is shown on the current registration certificate.
Do I have to get a new license plate?
Florida law requires all license plates be replaced every ten years. Replacement is necessary because license plates must be fully reflectorized to ensure visibility for law enforcement purposes.
Can someone else renew my license plate for me?
Yes, however, that individual must provide your proof of insurance and need vehicle information, plate # or copy of registration. In addition, some registrants are required to provide proofs they still meet specific renewal criteria. Examples follow: disabled veterans, non-resident military, forestry, agricultural and horticultural and X-series license plates
When I cancel my insurance, do I have to turn in my license plate?
License plates must be turned in to our offices or a DMV office when insurance is cancelled.
When I sell my car, do I have to turn in my license plate? If I do, do I have to pay the $225 "IMPACT FEE" fee again?
When a vehicle is sold and the license plate is transferred to a new vehicle, the $225 initial registration fee is not required. If the vehicle is not replaced, the license plate must be turned into the DMV or our office to prevent a driver license suspension. The vehicle registration will be stamped "cancelled" and this may be used to exempt the $225 initial registration fee when a replacement vehicle is registered.
Can I give my license plate to someone else?
No, license plates are not transferable.
What happens if I get married?
The name on the title can only be changed if the name on the driver's license is changed. Otherwise, it is acceptable to leave both names unchanged.
I renewed my registration by mail, but my registration never came. What should I do?
Come into the office with your valid state issued ID or drivers license and fill out a replacement form. We will contact the county to locate the paperwork. A loss in transit/replacement fee of $2-$4.50 will be assessed. You will receive a new registration.
Are leases more expensive to register and renew?
In Florida, leases are less expensive to register and more expensive to renew because of the taxing structure outlined in the state statutes.
What information do I need to bring to register my trailer?
If it is a new trailer that is under 2,000 pounds, it doesn't get titled. Bring in your identification, bill of sale, MSO/MCO and we will collect the tax from you and register the trailer into your name. If the trailer is used, bring in the bill of sale, a copy of the old registration and your drivers license. If you aren't sure what your trailer weighs, take it to the weigh station and get it weighed prior to coming in to register your trailer.
What documents are required to title my vehicle?
In order to make your experience at our agencies smooth and efficient, we have provided a checklist of items you will need to bring with you when transferring a title or renewing a vehicle. The items follow:
In State Title Transfer
  • Original title clear of liens
  • Proof of Florida insurance
  • Valid state issued ID card or valid drivers license
  • New owner must be present
  • Title signed and completed by seller
  • Purchase price written on the title
Out of State Title Transfer with the Same Owner
  • Original out of state title clear of liens
  • Vehicle must be present for VIN verification or bring in form HSMV82042 filled out and completed by law enforcement, Florida notary or Florida licensed dealer
  • Proof of Florida insurance
  • Valid drivers license or valid state issued ID card
  • Owner must be present
Out of State Title Transfer with New Owner
  • Original out of state title clear of liens
  • Vehicle must be present for VIN verification
  • Proof of Florida insurance
  • Valid drivers license or valid state issued ID card
  • New owner must be present
  • Title must be signed and completed by seller
If Out of State Title is Still Being Financed and the Same Owner Wishes to Move to Florida
  • Owner must come in and we will apply for the title from the lien-holder
  • We need the VIN, current proof of registration and financing information (company, account number and fax)
  • Must have proof of Florida insurance
  • 30-day temporary tag may be issued
  • Once the title arrives, the customer will be contacted and must bring in the car for inspection, insurance verification and ID.
Renewal of Decal for Vehicles, Boats and Trailers
  • Copy of registration, title, FL number or license plate number
  • Proof of Florida insurance for automobiles only